Monday, August 27, 2012

The end of an era


So this is gonna be a little hard to explain I think but you know (or at least should by now) that I play basketball and that's kind of the important part.

I play on Sundays in a domestic team with a bunch of girls I've known/played with (in some form or another) for years. We don't train, don't have a coach and we kick butt (like seriously, a 20pt win is an embaradsingly small margin for us). It's just for fun and a whole lot of laughter.

I also played on Friday nights which was a bit more serious. We were in the top division and despite having a horrific season we ended up 7th which, as my coach pointed out made us the 7th best team in the state which is kinda cool, we made the top 10 at least. Anyway, this was my last season, I'm too old now to play juniors so I'm left with the dilemma of "what am I going to do now?" I have no idea if I'll continue playing at this higher level, basketball is most definitely still in my future but for now...it's the end. It doesn't quite feel like it yet though...it hasn't really sunk in because it just feels like the end of last season, where I knew I'd be back in a few months for tryouts and pre-season training and the like.

Today I read this article on the Big V website (which is basically the level above what I was playing this year) about how once the season's ended you feel lost for a little while before you get back into the swing of normal social encounters again. And it is so freaking true. I didn't notice so much when I was younger (having less of a social life centred around Friday and Saturday nights) but now, facing a future without the prospect of Friday night basketball or Sunday trainings...I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do now. Go out on Friday and Saturday nights? Drink?
Friday nights without basketball? Sundays without training? They're foreign concepts to me. I'll be like a normal person again!
I know I'll miss it though, I already do. I have no idea what I'll be doing next year but I hope I'll still get to see the girls because, after all, they're the most important part.

No comments:

Post a Comment