Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Day 2 - Favourite Quote


I’m a quote addict and I honestly just couldn’t decide on just one so I’ve picked a couple of categories from which I will chose my favourite quotes.

Favourite Book Quote:
‘As happens sometimes, a moment settled and hovered and remained for much more than a moment. And sound stopped and movement stopped for much, much more than a moment.’ 
– Of Mice and Men, John Steinbeck.
I cannot for the life of me explain why this particular quote is my favourite out of the thousands of others I’ve picked out of books I’ve licked much, much more than I did Of Mice and Men but I just remember when I was reading this that these 2 sentences really struck a chord inside me and I just…I loved them. I love the way they sound and how they can just paint the perfect picture in your head and you know exactly what he means.

Favourite TV Show Quote:
I live in two worlds. One is a world of books. I've been a resident of Faulkner's Yoknapatawpha County, hunted the white whale aboard the Pequod, fought alongside Napoleon, sailed a raft with Huck and Jim, committed absurdities with Ignatius J. Reilly, rode a sad train with Anna Karenina, and strolled down Swann's Way. It's a rewarding world, but my second one is by far superior. My second one is populated with characters slightly less eccentric but supremely real, made of flesh and bone, full of love, who are my ultimate inspiration for everything. Richard and Emily Gilmore are kind, decent, unfailingly generous people. They are my twin pillars without whom I could not stand. I am proud to be their grandchild. But my ultimate inspiration comes from my best friend. The dazzling woman from whom I received my name and my life’s blood. Lorelai Gilmore. My mother never gave me any idea that I couldn't do whatever I wanted to do or be whomever I wanted to be. She filled our house with love and fun and books and music, unflagging in her efforts to give me role models from Jane Austen to Eudora Welty to Patti Smith. As she guided me through these incredible eighteen years, I don't know if she ever realized that the person I most wanted to be was her. Thank you Mom, you are my guide post for everything.’
- Rory Gilmore, Gilmore Girls
I know, it’s insanely long but this quote from Gilmore Girls never fails to make me cry. Rory Gilmore was, and kind of still is, my role model, or at least as close to one as I’ve ever had. I wanted to be like her, I wanted to be smart and well-read and have that kind of relationship with my mother.


Favourite Movie Quote:
‘Be not afraid of greatness, 
Some are born great,
Some achieve greatness,
And some have greatness thrust upon them.’
Okay, so technically it’s William Shakespeare from Twelfth Night but it also features in She’s The Man which is loosely based on the play and considering I’d already done the book quote and didn’t have a favourite play quote option it featured here.

Favourite Song Quote:
‘And if you were with me tonight,
I’d sing to you just one more time, 
A song for a heart so big,
God couldn’t let it live.’
- Hear You Me – Jimmy Eat World
I don’t even think I need to explain this one…All I know is that when the book I write gets turned into a movie THIS song is the ending montage of the funerals for my characters.


No comments:

Post a Comment