Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Day 3 - Favourite Fictional Character


I thought about this a lot...I love books I've had my nose stuck in a book pretty much since the day I learnt to read and I've watched a lot of movies and TV shows too so I have come across hundreds, if not thousands, of characters that have captured my attention and imagination and really stuck with me. They've made me laugh, made me cry and, most importantly, made me love. So, when it came to picking my favourite I had lots of options: Hermione, Sirius, Fred & George, Dumbeldore, Aragorn, Arwen, Legolas, King Arthur, Robin Hood, Damon Salvatore, Tuxedo Mask, Captain Shang (I am particularly infamous for my quote regarding those last two: "Hey Zo, who would you want to play Tuxedo Mask in a real movie?" "Captain Shang!" "What part of 'real' don't you get?"), Piper Halliwell, Lorelai and Rory Gilmore, Simba (just to name a few).

However, who I finally did decide on was Sherlock Holmes. And maybe it's just a phase brought on by watching the BBC's version but Sherlock Holmes is my man (godly being) of the moment.
Whether it be Benedict Cumberbacht in the BBC's take on it, Robert Downey Jnr in the Hollywood blockbuster or whatever image my imagination conjures up, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle created a god.

Sherlock Holmes is the original Sheldon, that slightly off-kilter individual we all love-to-hate who is far too intelligent for his own good and seemingly struggles with social interaction.
I first read Sherlock Holmes when I was about 16 and from the first short story I was in awe. The conclusions he comes to, so confidently and correctly, from a few quick observations seem so obvious and self-evident when he explains them that I can't believe I ever missed them yet I fail perpetually at deducing them on my own.

Sherlock Holmes leaves me in absolute awe each and every time I come away from any reincarnation of him and that's why he is my favourite fictional character.

No comments:

Post a Comment