Saturday, September 29, 2012

#Untitled


I can't remember the last time I wrote poetry but I have vague memories of a year 8 English assignment circa 2006 so I have no idea where this came from, when I am so very much exclusively a prose type of girl. Perhaps it was inspired by this lovely chick-a-dee or perhaps just from generic sleep deprivation.
Regardless, this is it.
Originally it wasn’t intended to be so depressing but considering it wasn’t intended at all, it is what it is.
Also, I’m not going to lie, I did use a rhyming dictionary to help me out a few times.
Anddddddd I used a metaphor so win - go lit class.


I lay beside him silently while he is asleep
Wrapped in his arms in his little single bed,
I can't close my eyes for the whirring thoughts in my head, 
So I stare at a darkness so deep,

There’s no light in here,
Only shadows that linger, 
But dance away from the touch of a finger,
Leaving behind them only fear. 

This is not my place,
I do not belong,
I've been playing this part for far too long,
My face is a mask and this mask my face,

It’s the end now,
This is over, finished, done,
But make no mistake; I’m not trying to run,
But there’s only so much one can allow.

If only he knew how I really felt,
Could see the truth behind my smile,
Know that it hasn't been real, not for a while,
And that his sweet words no longer make me melt.

I wanted this,
I dreamt of it for ages,
If only I knew it was different off the pages,
I never knew love was so hit and miss. 

We both know the end is at hand,
Yes, to start it was better than fine,
But then I knew he wasn’t really mine
So we'll have no wedding upon the sand. 

Instead we'll let go,
Untwine our lives and move on,
But never forget that at one point we shone,
And remember the high as well as the low.

Because life is what you make it,
You can’t always hold tight,
At some point you just have to do what is right,
Even when the flame remains still partially lit.

No comments:

Post a Comment