Monday, September 03, 2012

Just another post about basketball...

Last weekend I suddenly came to the realisation that half the girls on my basketball team(s) that I've been playing with for 5 or 6 years I've never hugged. We're not huggy and considering the majority of the time we see each other we're sweaty and gross it's not surprising.. That's not to say we never touch each other, we're all high fives and slaps on the back and a hand up after we hit the deck, we just don't hug which I find a little strange (even despite the whole sweaty thing). Given that my school friends were/are so ridiculously huggy I find it a bit weird that I have girls I've known for years (in some cases longer than my school friends) that I've never hugged.

Last weekend, I went to a basketball game last night, sat down with half the girls from my team to watch our women's team, more affectionately known as the "Lady Cavs," a few of whom I played with on Friday night. It was their second best-of-three final and they had to win to make it to the next game which they also had to win in order to win-win. One of my teammates just looked like she needed a hug after that so I gave her a hug for the first time in the two years I've been playing with her. Additionally, another of my teammates is going overseas for four months so after our team's 'going away' lunch I gave her a hug, potentially for the firs time (but I have known her for almost 10 years so chances are we have hugged before.

The Lady Cavs didn't win last weekend, they went down by about 5 points. It was sad, the girls were upset, there were some tears and hugs all around. I don't blame them, I would've cried too, they did well to get that far, suffering injuries and losing a girl to college basketball in America. I'm proud of all of them, especially my team mates, 3 out of 4 of whom are nominated for awards in the competition. I hope they win so they at least get something other than a loss out of all their hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment