Saturday, September 22, 2012

Challenge Complete


Zoe thought that when she put out an ad for a pen pal in the paper she would end up exchanging casual letters with a girl her age who loved shopping, movies, music and hanging out with her friends just like she did. All she wanted to do was have someone to share her day and exchange advice with, but never meet. She wanted to receive mail with her name written on the envelope with loopy handwriting rather than a phone bill. But the letter in her hand is as close to this reality than the supernatural novels sitting next to her bed. Zoe has slowly been dragged into a dark world through a young man she knows as Claude. The letters are like a drug and she is addicted. This man, who depicts such a surreal and dangerous world of which he is a part of, intrigues her guileless personality. Has Claude just created a life as fictitious as Zoe’s novels? Is the safety of her bedroom from where she writes enough? Why has Claude decided to write to her?

I wrote this a few weeks. As you can see, creative writing…actually any writing is not my forte. I have been inspired to post this now though by the piece of music that is blasting through my headphones. Today I was asked if I would like to play in the entrance foyer at someone’s wedding. I don’t know the people; it will be for complete strangers. I haven’t given an answer yet. I got home and went straight to my piano and looked at the songs I had to try figure out what songs I did have. I kind of want to do this but in the same way I feel I may not be able to this with professional perfection and I will ruin someone’s wedding. I find it so much harder to play when I know other people are listening. So when I got kicked off the piano so my family could get some sleep I started listening to classical music on my headphones. I ended up on this one song and put it on repeat. I don’t play this song, I want to, but I kind of don’t want to ruin the magic it beholds. It is full of emotion. There is a sadness, a hopefulness and a passion to it I can’t explain. It is called My Big Secret, from the movie The Piano soundtrack. Micheal Nyman is the composer. I could listen to this song over and over again loudly for the rest of my life. I don't know the connection to the piece I wrote, but it felt right to post this now. Goodbye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment