Sunday, May 22, 2011

All I Want

My biggest goal, the one thing i want above all else is to write something so amazingly beautiful and touching it brings people to tears, like only a few pieces of unbelievably exquisite narrative have done for me.
I want to write something that people read again and again and again and each time it touches them in a different way and they find something different in it they never saw before.

I don't want to be the next J.K. Rowling, or the next Shakespeare (though I wouldn't mind trying my hand at making up words like the King of Literature did).
I want to be the next Theresa Tomlinson or Kate Constable, authors of 2 of my favourite series, or the next 'Sky Samuelle' who writes the most amazing things in her second language that are better than many native English speakers could even hope for.
Living my life by fanfiction, as I do, I come across the most brilliant pieces of writing and the worst. The good ones give me hope, few and far between that they are, while the bad ones make me question the very future of humanity itself if people can't even use spell check.

I want to write something that sticks with you, that makes you think, makes you feel, makes you come back to the same book, the same chapter, the same passage time and time again.
I want to create characters that make you hurt when they hurt, cry when they cry and, most importantly, love when they love.

This is all I want.

I'll give up my chance of Mr. Right, forsake the dream job, lose out on a McMansion, relinquish the cats, surrender the perfect family if only I can write something exquisite.
Something that will take your breath away time and again.

That's all, it's not that much I'm asking for, is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment