Friday, September 16, 2011

♥Outlaws♥Rangers♥Vales♥ROCKETS♥Cavs♥

We joke about other people being club-whores but i'm pretty much up there...5 clubs in 10 years...but 2 of those don't really count 'cause they were concurrent but I have never been happier than where I am now. 



I wish I had a photo so I could show you how much fun we have. But, I wonder if even a camera could catch our Kodak moments.

We amble up the court at our own pace (provided it’s fast enough to get over half court in our however many seconds) chatting away with each other like we’re meeting up for a coffee date not playing a sport.
“You awake yet, Bridge?” I tease as I jog past her.
She just groans in reply but keeps the ball safe before passing it along to Paigey for a nice shot and we’re heading back up the other end again, less than a minute gone on the clock.
Sometimes it’s just as easy as that.

The ball goes over my head but I saw Ames out of the corner of my eye. “Yours,” I tell her 2 seconds after she’s already caught it.
She grins at me before she darts past one of our opponents and lays it up like it’s nothing, which it kind of is for her.

“I don’t want to go get it,” I whine when Bridgette urges me up the caught to pass it in.
“It’s your turn!” she calls down to me, refusing to come any closer than halfway.

A rebound, a long pass and for us, the work is done.
“Go ‘Cin! All the way!” we call from halfway down the court, too lazy, and too wise, to follow her. She’ll get it in, uncontested or otherwise, why waste the energy? On the rare occurrences that it doesn’t pass through the net we make our way up there as she heads to the line or she gets her own rebound anyway.

Bouncing off 3 sets of hands before sailing out of court and everyone blames each other, laughter clear in our voices.

The ball rolling through legs and tripping people up equals more laugher and a hand up.

Missed shot after shot after shot from under the basket results in cheers from down court when it finally goes in, amidst joking cries to “never pass it to Tash again.”
Watching Kailah go to work is amazing. It’s almost like she flicks a switch and she’s layed it up before you can blink. She moves so fast and so effortlessly, I’m glad I’m finally on her team.
We’re pretty much all 18 now, that means licenses and cars and no more parents at games.
“It’s your turn to score Jason!” we tell him, forcing him begrudgingly into a job he’s never had to do before.

There are no positions here, everyone does everything, circa 10 years of experience and a lack of any real competition allows that.

I think it pisses other people off that we’re so whatever about it. But, God, we’ve been doing this for 10 years; we have other more important things in our lives…this is just for fun. And it is so much fun. Weekly laughter therapy.

1 player down the whole game and 3 out or 4 of us not-so-fresh from 2 hours of training in the lead up to finals but still a 20 pt win…it’s days like that I love playing, even after all these years. Other times the 6 hours or so every Sunday I spend at basketball/driving to and from basketball is a gigantic pain in my ass.

I love these girls and I am so thankful for this sport that brought us together all those years ago because I know my life would not be as bright and enjoyable if not for having them in it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment