Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Mainstream Love


Okay I’m gonna ask you guys to cast your minds back a few blogs ago when Han wrote a kind of blog-response to one of my I <3 1D moments. Anyway, given that Hannah is such an avid bouncer-offer, I thought I’d give it a go and, in response to one of Han’s previous posts (titled ‘Mainstream Hate’ btw in case you’re interested), tell you why I DO like mainstream music.

I think part of the reason why I like “mainstream” music is because, in contrast to Hannah who possible (probably) grew up listening to the Fox and other mainstream radio stations, I grew up listening to the great classic hits on Gold 104.3 probably until about the start of high school when listening to the same music as everyone else was a little more important. Not that I think Gold 104.3 is a bad station to listen to, classics are classics for a reason and I actually had a succession of amazing songs coming off that station today but it’s not mainstream music, at leats not in the past 30 years.

I agree that a lot of songs get played ‘till they’re dead kind of thing (one such song at risk of such fate is Ed Sheeran’s Lego House which I love love love but am sure to get sick of) however, given that the only time I listen to the radio is roughly half-hour trips at a time each day so it’s not too bad and if I ever find the radio unbearable I can easily switch to iPod or CD (which I do regularly).

However, I’m also guilty of killing music for myself I’ve had the One Direction album on repeat pretty much since I bought it about two months ago (hah! I knew I’d get the boys in here somewhere!) and I know that unless I chuck on something else soon it’s life will be at an end which will be a horrific event for all of my friends/family I'm sure.

The main reason why I listen to/like mainstream music is I’m too lazy to “discover” new artists on my own, I have a few “unknown” artists here and there scattered through my playlists with tracks I’ve gotten off movies or tv shows or friends but my theory is: there’s got to be a reason why everyone likes it. That’s probably a pretty sheep-like reason but I’m confident enough in myself that I know I don’t like things just because everyone else does and if I don’t like something I won’t like it regardless of who or how many people disagree with me. Take Rhianna for example, I do not like her. I don’t like her as a person, I don’t like her music, I especially don’t like her video clips but she’s all the rage.

Before I go, allow me to spare a moment to squee over Han calling me her “other half” nawwww <3 LOVE YOU BLOG BUDDY!!
Okay, I’m done.

P.S. Backstreet Boys are awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment