Tuesday, August 16, 2011

"You Are Passing Another Fox"


I always liked to think my blog would be informative as well as just rants/stories of my life and now I know they are. This probably isn't everyone's cup of tea but it is something I am passionate and interested about so I decided to share.

When I started up this blog with Han, I never thought I'd be making a post about a truck I drove past on the freeway…but here I am.
I'd prefer to think of it as making a post about an Australian icon though, even if that Australian icon is a transnational logistics company.

It always makes me smile when I see the back of a truck adorned with the slogan "You Are Passing Another Fox". I don't think I can exactly explain why…maybe 'cause I'm obsessed with all things Australian.  I think it's because of what it represents. I can't remember when or how I learnt about LinFox, whether I asked my mum, learnt about it primary school or watched some documentary on TV. Somehow, I just know that LinFox is Australian. It's the embodiment of the Great Australian Dream of making a better life for yourself.

This admiration for LinFox led me to do some Googling and what I discovered is it was created by a man called Lindsay Fox who dropped out of school when he was 16 and built his logistics empire from the ground to what it is today (FYI it's a billion dollar transnational company). Pretty good for an Aussie high school drop out if you ask me. He started off with a second-hand truck in 1956, delivering soft drink in summer and fuel in winter which he then built up into the empire we know today.

LinFox was the logistics provider of the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney which was Australia's biggest peace-time logistics operation. 

However building his empire has not been without its hardships for Lindsay Fox and his family. He lost one of his six children in 1991 to suicide, prompting him  to advise both the federal and state governments on youth suicide. He is also on the board of the National Advisory Council on Suicide Prevention.


No comments:

Post a Comment