Wednesday, January 21, 2015

The troubles of friending - part 2

Do you ever wonder in a relationship who's the "better friend"?

Who texts first? Who tries more? Who buys the better (more thoughtful) presents? Who talks more? Who listens more? Who gives more? Who takes more?

For a long time I thought it was me. I was more thoughtful, I was more giving, I didn't have a boyfriend to distract me and take away from friend time, I was always there

Now though...now I'm pretty sure it's not me. 

Maybe the tables have turned, maybe the years of "being the better friend" are paying off, maybe my friends are realising how lucky they are to have me. 

Those are awful, self-centered and selfish things to say and not at all in the spirit of friendship.

I wish I was the better friend, or rather on equal footing (where true friendship really should be) but I don't think I'm either anymore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment