Sunday, November 10, 2013

Strength is in the mind.

I have not contributed to this blog for a while. It's not that I haven't had much to write about, nor time to do so. I just haven't been motivated. I sure have things to write about. I got offered an honours project that I desperately wanted, I have a job at a lab with many interesting people, I did a placement at a museum and I am happily enjoying a serious relationship with someone. But what inspired me to write today is an admirable friend.

This friend of mine is not very "close" but I see her at least once a week.
Today I found out something sad. 
My friends mum has cancer, and has had it for a few years now.
I knew she was sick, but I didn't know she was cancer sick.
She's in palliative care.
I have met her mother a few times and she is a positive person.
My friend has never revealed much about her mum to our little group before. Which makes me sad because it means it is serious. We told her to just stay strong and keep motivated for her exams. She told us that it is ok because her mum had brought her up to be motivated.
But what I want to say how outstanding my friend is. She always puts 120% of effort. 
She never wastes time fluffing around. She goes to gym, studies full time at uni, juggles part time work, and manages to find time to practice, and keep a social life.
At the moment she is in the middle of exams, her mum is very sick, and she is keeping it all together. I don't know how she does it.
But the main thing is that she never complains. Ever. She is not someone who is full of excuses, who is never on time, or puts in a half ass attempt. She is a yes man. She is always up for more. 
The fact that she hadn't told us about it until today reveals her true nature. She doesn't like people feeling sorry for her or seeing her vulnerable. She is a strong person.
She is inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment